On this excellent episode of On The Rocks Podcast, Music Writer Dan Ozzi joins the pod to chat about his new book SELLOUT: The Major Label Feeding Frenzy That Swept Punk, Emo, and Hardcore (1994-2007), featuring the stories of 11 bands and their major label debut albums, including: Green Day, Jawbreaker, Jimmy Eat World, Blink-182, At the Drive-In, The Donnas, Thursday, The Distillers, My Chemical Romance, Rise Against, Against Me! It was a super fun chat, dear listener!
SOME of the topics include:
• His book being Jeff Rosenstock-approved, as well as approved by Craig Finn (The Hold Steady) and Jonah Ray (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
• Soliciting blurbs for his book cover. Bible blurbs? Who would they be?
• This interview being sandwiched in between his chats with Mark Hoppus and Tom Morello
• I listened to the audio book, and it wasn’t him reading it to me?!
• On The Rocks EXCLUSIVE: he’s compiled a 200 song playlist (in chronological order) to accompany the book!
• Artists he recommends: Laura Stevenson, Tiger’s Jaw, The Armed, Illuminati Hotties, Laura Jane Grace
• Dan Ozzi selling out by selling rad merch for his book – DAD HATS!
• Cassettes and VHS tapes have been back for awhile, but WHY? Are laserdiscs next? Vidiots store.
• The (Radio) Shack is back!
• The first album he bought
• Movies that make him ALMOST cry
• Reply Alt, his fantastic email newsletter and podcast
• The Creative Independent – the only website he types into his browser on purpose
• We agree on the best ’80s movies
• And MORE!
Listen HERE and wherever else you get your podcasts:
• Apple Podcasts: http://www.bit.ly/OTR-pod (Subscribe & review!)
• Spotify: http://www.bit.ly/OTR-spotify (Follow!)
• YouTube: https://bit.ly/OTRTube (Subscribe!)
• Stitcher: http://www.bit.ly/OTR-stitcher (Follow!)
• Website: http://www.ontherockspodcast.com
Connect With Dan Ozzi:
• Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/danozzi
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/danozzi
• Web: http://www.danozzi.com
Theme music: Overdrive by Corbyn Kites
©2021 On The Rocks Podcast
#OnTheRocksPodcast #OnTheRocks #interview #Podcast #Podcaster #Podcasting #PopCulture #RockPodcast #PopCulturePodcast #InterviewPodcast #PopCulture #Rock #Metal #Music #RockAndRoll #TV #Movies #Netflix #Hulu #Prime #HBOMax #HBO #concerts #livemusic #livecomedy #comedypodcast #musicpodcast #Celebrity #writer #DanOzzi #GreenDay #Jawbreaker #JimmyEatWorld # Blink182 #AtTheDriveIn #TheDonnas #Thursday #TheDistillers #MyChemicalRomance #RiseAgainst #AgainstMe
Want to SPONSOR US or be on the show?
We are looking for our first sponsors of the podcast to partner with us, so if you own a business or work for a rad company, we encourage you to hit us up. We are always looking for fun and interesting guests, too. Email [email protected]
Listen, rate, review, and subscribe to On the Rocks Podcast everywhere you consume podcasts. Mainly, the three options at the top of this primer.
Nate is a graphic designer as well as an avid appreciator of live music, pop culture of most kinds, and cats. Devon Rexes to be exact. He lives in Fargo, ND with his pop culture-loving wife Melissa Vosen Callens and 3 Devon Rexes: Huey Lewis, Joan Jett, and Stevie Nicks. They’re pretty rad. Send your questions, comments, concerns, swag, and music to [email protected]. Follow Nate on Twitter @natecallens and Instagram @fargonate. Cheers!