Kragen Lum, guitarist of Heathen, joins Ty this week to discuss the band’s upcoming album, Empire of the Blind, out 9/18/20.
We had the pleasure of having Kragen Lum on the show. Kragen is a thrash metal vet who has played in the likes of Prototype, Exodus, Psychosis, and (of course) Heathen. We had a lot to unpack since this is the first album by Heathen in over a decade! Kragen brings us up to speed while throwing in some anecdotes regarding his stint in Exodus and the other aforementioned bands. I say this every week, but also touched upon the global pandemic. The great white elephant in the room that won”t go away. Naturally, we discussed details about the new album, Empire of the Blind.
Here are some of the talking points discussed during our chat:
- The global pandemic
- This is the first HEATHEN album since 2009 The Evolution of Chaos. Can you explain the decade long wait between albums?
- What can you tell us about the new album?
- What’s the sound like
- How many tracks
- What themes were you going for
- Songwriting process
- Your contributions
- Any standout tracks?
- Prototype last released an album in 2012 called Catalyst. You played guitars on that album as well. Is the band still active?
- How do you get into the mindset when writing for Prototype or Heathen?
Check out the episode to hear us chat about everything listed above and more. A big thanks to Kragen for coming on the show!