Paradise Lost vocalist, Nick Holmes, joins us to discuss the band’s latest LP, Obsidian.
We had the pleasure of speaking to a true legend in this one in Nick Holmes. Paradise Lost is one of the most consistently solid bands in metal’s long & storied history. They’ve been able to see success well into their career without coming off cliched or recycled. The band slaps a new coat of pain on itself and heads out into the showroom ready to impress. Guess what? They fucking impress EVERY. TIME. Anyway, just had to set the stage for how awesome this was to speak with a member of such a well respected metal band.
We chat a lot about the reception of Obsidian. The band’s latest stellar album that’s entering charts all over the world. This leads to discussions about the legacy of the band and how Nick feels having 16 studio albums under his belt. Of course, we had to ask Nick what he’s been up to during the global pandemic and what makes doom music so special as a metal subgenre.
We ended our conversation with some off the wall questions:
- Perusing your twitter and instagram, I noticed you post a lot of travel related photos on instagram and discuss a lot of horror films on twitter – I have two questions but I’ll ask one at a time… What would you say has been your favorite place to travel? What got you into horror movies and do you have a hands down favorite?
- When thinking about the progression of your vocals in Paradise Lost from albums 1-16 – would you say it was a natural progression or was there a lot of thought put into it?
- Vocally, what’s your favorite song to perform live?
- What is your favorite British exclusive food?
- What Paradise Lost album is your favorite and why?
- What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
To get the answers to these questions and more check out our chat with Nick Holmes!